Tuesday 29 April 2014

25 million visitors can’t be wrong – a great break on your doorstep!


It’s amazing how many Brits, even those only living a few hours away, have never actually visited London. Or maybe, like me, it’s more a case of a quick meeting or conference now and again, with no time to see anything other than Waterloo station, a couple of tube stops, and the inside of a hotel conference suite. But over 25million tourists visited London last year – so what are we missing? I took a day off and spent some time finding out!

By far, the easiest way to get into London is by train, and if you keep your eyes peeled you can get some good deals on train tickets, and can include a Tube pass too. I chose to stay for the night at the Marble Arch Suites London, just a five minute taxi ride from Paddington Station. My room was clean and spacious and, as I was to find out, the perfect place to kick back and rest my sore feet after a day’s touring!
                             
After dropping my bags off, it was time for Sightseeing and I got chatting to an excitable couple from America on the tube to Waterloo. Though their budget was bigger and their stay longer than mine, they helpfully shared their London must-sees. I took their advice and visited the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament and the Tower of London. Of course, there must be the perfunctory selfie with a Beefeater, a red telephone box and Hackney carriage too.
After a quick nap, I nipped to Covent Garden and watched the enjoyably scary Woman In Black at the Fortune Theatre (don’t miss it!).

I spent the second day touring some of London’s famous museums and art galleries, the Natural History Museum and Tate Modern in particular were breath-taking.
I had a fantastic time exploring London properly - it made me see London for the fascinating, historical and buzzing city it is. It felt rather odd to be a ‘tourist’ in my own country but I really felt that I’d had a short holiday! What a really great opportunity to get away from the 9-5, without breaking the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment